A tradition of excellence returns to snow-sports with Beech Mountain Resort’s Annual Cardboard Box Derby. It takes speed, precision, and good looks to win this race. We’re not talking about the pilot; we’re talking about the cardboard box! Racers will man their boxes and maneuver down the course in pursuit of victory.
Rules for the Great Cardboard Box Derby
- Entries must be sponsored by an affinity group (business, church, community organization, etc.) There can be only one entry per group.
- One or two pilots allowed. Pilots must be in the vehicle for the entire race. Hand held ski poles or sticks for steering purposes are not allowed to be attached to the vehicle. Bring helmets, they are required. No one will be allowed to race without a helmet.
- Vehicles must be made of cardboard box. It must have a minimum of three sides which are at least 10 inches high. Vehicles must be lettered and decorated.
- Structure of Box
Materials that cannot be used for structural purposes are: staples (unless originally in box,) wood, metal, plastic, rubber, epoxy, screws, nails or fiberglass. Materials that can be used are tape, white glue (Elmers or similar,) wax oil or water based paint. Tape or epoxy resin will not be allowed on the running surface of the cardboard racer, and cardboard. (These are examples only, other materials may be excluded. If in doubt please call.)
Materials not allowed for the running surface are: white glue, wax, oil or water based paint, plastic, rubber, epoxy, screws, nails or fiberglass.
- Decoration of Box
Materials that cannot be used for decoration purposes are: staples ,wood, metal, plastic, rubber, epoxy, screws, nails, or fiberglass.
Materials that can be used for decoration purposes are: oil or water based paint, tape varnish, shellac and poly urethane. (Again, these are examples, call with questions).
- Registration will be accepted from 9am â€“ 11am at the group sales office on the event day. You will need to turn in entry forms for both pilot and co-pilot along with the $25 entry fee at this time, or you may register by mail.
*If registering by mail, you must still check in at group sales during registration hours.
- Pilot and co-pilot must be at least 18 years of age.
- There will be three divisions for prizes: most original, best looking, and fastest. First, second, and third place prizes will be awarded in each division.
- All entries must participate in all divisions.
- Inspection and judging for Most Original and Best Looking will be held at noon at the entrance of the Ice skating Rink.
- The race will begin at 2pm sharp. It will consist of one timed run over an easy course which may require some maneuvering. Racers must adhere to course and go through the gate at the finish line. Push starts are allowed (only two pushers per team.) Pushers will not be allowed to go past the designated â€œpushing lane.â€
- After crossing the finish line pilot and co-pilot must evacuate vehicle immediately to order to ensure a safe stop.